Friday, January 16, 2009

Winter... What's The Point???

I'm just going to come right out with it: I HATE WINTER!!!!!

It's cold. It snows. It gets dark early. You can't keep your vehicle clean no matter how hard you try. When the snow melts, guess what? It gets muddy! And filthy! And nasty! And dirty! Any kind of outdoor activity is impossible unless you like building snowmen or skiing/snowboarding. I hate that my power/heating bill TRIPLES in the wintertime. I hate wearing three layers of clothing and never being comfortable.

Winter SUCKS!!!

Do I have to say it again? Okay: I HATE WINTER!!!!!

Basically, you could put me to bed on November 1 and wake me up on April 1 and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss much (hey, I can DVR the UK and Steelers games and watch them when I wake up).

But-

I realize that God has a plan for everything and a reason why we need winter. Apparently, the snow cleanses the earth and the cold kills a lot of germs and disease and other general "funk" that otherwise would run rampant and destroy much of God's glorious creation (and probably the people living in it, as well).

I'm more of a spring and summer guy. I love going to outdoor concerts, baseball games and auto races. I love going to Keeneland and Churchill Downs. I love hanging out on the patio with a bunch of friends having drinks and talking about everything and nothing at all. I love grilling out. I love playing cornhole. I love wearing shorts and t-shirts and being comfortable.

Now before you start leaving comments about what an ungrateful jerk I am, let me put your minds at ease. I know how lucky I am. I haven't forgotten everything I've been blessed with. I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back and a job that allows me to pay the power bill even when it triples. At least I have the extra layers to wear even when I'm uncomfortable. There are many among us that don't have homes or heat or clothing. Just take one trip to the Men's Hope Center or a homeless shelter and you will see just how truly blessed you really are. I get it. I really do. But it doesn't change the fact that winter, in my humble opinion, simply sucks!

I guess I should stop ranting and start appreciating God's blessings more. However, one day when I meet Him, I'm sure one of my questions will be, "Winter. Why?"

I guess there are some good things about winter. Not only are there Steelers and UK games, but there are also some pretty great TV shows to watch (LOST, anyone?).

I guess being cooped up inside has its advantages, after all! But I still hate winter...

1 comment:

Fred said...

I'm with you Mark. We saw our first flurries of snow here in Raleigh this am and although some were excited, I'm ready for Spring!