Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Lesson In Love

Tonight I went to St. Awesome's for a Super Bowl party/Chili Cook-Off. I left around halftime and drove downtown to Yesterday's to meet up with my Dad and a few of his co-workers. They've started this new tradition of meeting up at Yesterday's to play pool, have a few drinks and watch the Super Bowl. While I was there I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and noticed I didn't have any signal. I asked Dad to check his phone, too. He flipped his phone open and, sure enough, he didn't have signal either. I tell all of this to get to my main point:

When he flipped his phone open I noticed that the picture on his phone is my Mom's senior picture from high school. I can't really explain it, but the fact that he had this picture on his phone spoke volumes to me. My parents have been married nearly 35 years. That's almost unheard of in this day and age. I just thought it was really neat that he chose this picture as his wallpaper. My Dad loves my Mom dearly and I consider it an honor to be their son. I have been blessed with tremendous parents who have raised me to be the man I am today.

That picture reassures me that when God sees fit to bless me with a wife I know I have been well trained in love. My Dad has been a shining example of what it means to love your wife, support your wife and respect your wife. If I can treat my bride half as good and love my wife half as much as my Dad loves my Mom, she will be one lucky woman!

Thanks Dad for the "on-the-job-training" you have provided over the years. You have shown me what a man is meant to be, most of time without even trying. I will never forget the feeling I felt tonight when I saw that picture. I'm proud to call you my father and I hope you are just as proud to call me your son.

No comments: