Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Money...

I've worked in a bank either on a part-time or full-time basis since the age of 16. You could say that banking is really all I know.

Anyway, before I started working in the banking industry I thought a million dollars was a lot of money, but in the grand scheme of things in this great country of ours, a million dollars really isn't that much money. Let me explain...

My job consists of analyzing large loans of $500,000 and above and basically telling the Bank the likelihood that the loan will or won't be paid back. I analyze personal and corporate financial statements, tax returns and credit reports and write a summary of the credit or credits to our loan committee, which consists of loan officers, market presidents and, of course, the owners of the Bank (my place of employment happens to be privately owned, hence owners rather than shareholders). It's a really great job for someone like me. I am overly analytical and I NEVER stop thinking. My brain never stops. In fact, I dream vividly almost every night, which I'm sure is due to my over-active brain. So you see, even when I'm SLEEPING my brain won't shut down! But I digress... (See what I mean?)

Today, I worked on an annual review of one of our biggest customers. The current balance on their five credit relationships is.....


Drumroll....


$13,526,894

I can't even begin to imagine having that much money, let alone owing that much money. It's insane! I mean, really, how much is enough? How many yachts can you water ski behind? How many private jets can you fly? How many homes can you live in? How many cars can you drive?

I guess that's why I haven't won the Powerball jackpot yet. The man upstairs really has my back, because if I had millions of dollars, my brain would probably explode!

No comments: